One of the things nobody tells you when you start sewing is the sheer amount of waste created. Between paper waste from cutting out patterns, and fabric waste from unusable offcuts and small remnants, the waste is unbelievable.
But instead of throwing away your offcuts, or even sending them for fabric recycling, why not use them? There are plenty of patterns and tutorials (often free) around the internet that calls for small amounts of fabric – the kind left over from a cutting out your new dress, but is too small for another garment.
Sustainability in sewing has become a huge priority across the community of late. There is even an Instagram challenge happening across September (#sewyourselfsustainable / @thenewcrafthouse) dedicated to the cause. So, instead of buying new fabric this September, reach into the depths of your scrap bin and turn them into something amazing!
This past week I’ve been collating some of my favourite ways to use up scraps and remnants with everything from bags and accessories, to patchwork items, to actual garments that use surprisingly little fabric.
Bags & Accessories
- Helen’s Closet Costa Tote Bag
- Sewing Patterns by Masin Pipa Pouch
- Rosery Apparel Padded Headband, Headscarf and Bucket Hat
- Grianline Studios Scrunchies and Hair Bows
- Elbe Textiles Sorrento Bucket Hat
- Eye Masks from Tilly and the Buttons and Ohh Lulu Lingerie
- Mens Ties and Bow Ties
- Closet Core Patterns Ultimate Scrap Busting Pouff
- Makeup Remover Pads
- Wall Hangings from Crafty Pin Up
- Megan Nielsen Accacia Underwear (& plus size)
- True Bias Ogden Cami (& plus size)
- Tilly and the Buttons Stevie (top version)
- Fibre Mood Sara Top
- Anna Allen Button up Denim Skirt
- Melilot Everlane Top
- Ohh Lulu Lingerie Hyacinth Bralette
- Hobbycraft Fat Quarter Wrap Skirt
- No Waste 1m Skirt like this one from Crafty Pin Up
- Closet Core Patterns Sewing Machine / Overlocker Cover
- Hobbycraft Fat Quarter Bias Tape
- DIY Piping
- Patchwork garments, like this by Sewing Patterns by Masin. She used up her leftover linen scraps to make a cute Ogden Cami. Also check out this great patchwork Peppermint X In the Folds Peplum Top by @MadeByPea on IG.